May 16 (Reuters) – Berkshire Hathaway Inc on Monday said it added new investments in Citigroup Inc and several other companies in the first quarter, as Warren Buffett’s conglomerate took advantage of volatile stock markets to invest $51.1 billion that had largely been sitting in cash.
In a regulatory filing describing its U.S.-listed equity investments as of March 31, Berkshire reported new stakes in Ally Financial Inc, chemicals and specialty materials company Celanese Corp, insurance holding company Markel Corp, drug distributor McKesson Corp and Paramount Global, formerly known as ViacomCBS.
Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire said it sold nearly all of an $8.3 billion stake in Verizon Communications Inc that it had amassed in late 2020.
Berkshire also finally exited Wells Fargo & Co, a 33-year-old investment that Buffett soured on after finding it too slow to address revelations that employees had mistreated customers, including by opening unwanted accounts.
These included previously disclosed stakes in Chevron Corp and Occidental Petroleum Corp, computer and printer maker HP Inc and video game maker Activision Blizzard Inc, the latter an arbitrage bet.
Stock sales totaled $9.7 billion, and also included drugmakers AbbVie Inc and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co .
Citigroup, where Berkshire invested nearly $3 billion, has embarked on a multiyear plan to boost performance and a share price that in recent years has lagged larger rivals JPMorgan Chase & Co and Bank of America Corp, the latter a major Berkshire investment.
Some investors have described Markel as a small-scale version of Berkshire, and Buffett in March committed $11.6 billion to buy another insurance holding company fitting that description, Alleghany Corp.
Berkshire also owns several companies specializing in Celanese’s sectors. Monday’s filing does not say which investments were made by Buffett and his portfolio managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler.
At Berkshire’s annual meeting on April 30, Buffett said investors were too focused on flashy stocks, causing markets at times to resemble a casino, allowing him to focus on stocks that Berkshire understands and which add value.
Analysts have also viewed Chevron and Occidental as a way for Berkshire to benefit from rising oil prices following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
“I wish the rest of the world worked as well as our big oil companies,” Berkshire Vice Chairman Charlie Munger said at the annual meeting.
More than three-fourths of Berkshire’s $390.5 billion equity portfolio on March 31 was in American Express Co, Apple Inc, Bank of America, Chevron, Coca-Cola Co and Kraft Heinz Co. Berkshire owned 26.6% of Kraft Heinz. (Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Chris Reese, Bernard Orr).
- Failing Stress Test Is Another Stumble for Citigroup”.
- “‘Stress Test’ Failure Sparked Scramble at Citigroup”. The Wall Street Journal.
- “Federal Reserve releases results of Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR)”
- Citi passes Fed stress test but BofA gets an incomplete”.
- Citigroup Faces Fraud Suit Claiming $1.1 Billion in Losses”. Bloomberg L.P.
- “Citigroup Plans to Eliminate Shrinking Citi Holdings Unit”. Bloomberg L.P.
- Citigroup More Than Triples Its Dividend After Passing Stress Test”. Citigroup Said to Give CCA Managers 75% Fund Stake for Free”. Bloomberg L.P.
- “A Citi Hedge Fund Business Prepares for Life on Its Own”.
- “Napier Park Global Capital completes spinout from Citigroup”
- “Citigroup spins off alternative asset management arm”
- “Napier Park Global Capital Completes Spinout from Citigroup”
- Citigroup to Exit Consumer Banking in 11 Markets”. Bloomberg L.P.
- Citi pulls out of consumer banking in 11 countries, profit jumps”. Reuters.
- Citigroup selling retail online FX trading platform to FXCM, Saxo Bank”. Reuters.
- “Citigroup Names James Bindler Currencies Chief”. The Wall Street Journal.
- “Scotiabank Closes Deal to Acquire Citigroup’s Retail and Commercial Banking Operations in Panama and Costa Rica”
- “Springleaf Financial to Acquire OneMain Financial”
- “Springleaf Holdings Announces Closing of OneMain Acquisition and Ticker Symbol Change”
- Costco names Citi, Visa as new credit card partners after AmEx deal ends”. Los Angeles Times.
- Citigroup’s ‘Living Will’ Passes Muster but Offers Few Insights”
- Here’s what Citi is doing for coronavirus assistance”
- Citigroup is giving some employees a $1,000 bonus for working through the coronavirus pandemic”
- More Remote Working Apps:https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR