When people ask me why I became a writer, I have plenty of reasons to list: Words bring me joy. I ask questions constantly. And when I hear a good story, I’ll repeat it again and again until my friends get tired of hearing it. But in July of 2021, these responses started to feel hollow.
I was burned out. “I feel like I sprained my brain,” I told my friend over the phone. When I wasn’t working, I felt fine; when I tried to use my head, it felt like putting weight on a bum ankle.
I know I’m not alone. At this moment, when work is isolating some people at home while putting others in danger, burnout seems particularly rampant. In a survey of 1,500 workers from Indeed in March 2021, 53 percent said they were burned out—up by nearly 10 percent from the previous year. Another survey of nearly 21,000 healthcare workers published that May in The Lancet found similar rates.
I wanted to regain my curiosity and the joy I find in language as soon as possible, so I reached out to scientists to find out what, exactly, was happening in my body—and what I could do to make it better.
Burnout is a phenomenon so old, they made a sin out of it, according to Gordon Parker, a professor of psychiatry at the University of New South Wales. Once called “acedia,” the eighth cardinal sin described a state of listlessness, apathy, and torpor observed in fourth century monks. “They would wake up one day and say ‘the sky is no longer blue,’” Parker said. These monks would stop getting pleasure out of life and would lose their faith in God.
They were more than just tired. They had forgotten the meaning of all that they did. And that pretty much describes burnout. The response to chronic stress goes beyond exhaustion; sufferers also experience a loss of idealism and feel like they’re bad at whatever they do. Those are the three prongs identified by the Maslach Burnout Inventory, the assessment most often used by psychologists to evaluate such mental fatigue.
And all that angst isn’t just in your head—it’s very much a physical phenomenon, rooted in the body’s stress-response system. Scientists studying the syndrome are particularly interested in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, also called the HPA axis. When we’re faced with a threat—say, a bear chasing us, or the prospect of responding to an ambiguously stern-sounding email—the HPA axis releases a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol helps the body run from whatever is threatening it; it raises our heart rate and helps our body harvest energy from glucose.
Cortisol also decreases activity in systems you don’t need when your life is in immediate danger, like the reproductive and immune systems. When the hypothalamus, a structure in the brain that acts like the control room for the HPA axis, detects high levels of cortisol in the blood, it’s supposed to say “okay, my work is done here,” and shut the stress response down.
Researchers can capture a snapshot of how the stress-response system is functioning with a test called the dexamethasone challenge. Dexamethasone is a drug that tells the hypothalamus to suppress the stress-response system. Given a dose of it, a healthy person should start producing less cortisol. But multiple studies have found that people with burnout have an altered response to the drug. Some studies find that those individuals don’t react to dexamethasone much, if at all—they continue pumping out more cortisol regardless.
Other research finds that people with burnout have an exaggerated response to the drug—they suppress cortisol more than the healthy controls do. Researchers hypothesize that these two seemingly contradictory findings represent two stages: burning out, and being burnt out.
“During the burning-out phase, the system is in overdrive,” Parker said. When stress is chronic, cortisol levels in the body keep going up, but the system doesn’t shut itself down. The burnt-out phase begins when that system is tapped out, says Renzo Bianchi, a psychologist at the University of Neuchâtel in Switzerland. “Your stress response gets so exhausted that you stop producing cortisol at high levels,” Bianchi said.
Cortisol may stress us out, but we also need the hormone to survive. It’s quite literally what gets us up in the morning. So when people enter this “burnt out” phase, they feel tired and cynical. They lose drive. They might even experience cognitive impairment and memory changes.
These symptoms might sound similar to clinical depression. But according to some scientists, including Christina Maslach of the Maslach Burnout Inventory, burnout and depression are not at all the same.
Burnout is a syndrome that may cause a person to become depressed; depression might predispose a person to burnout. But ultimately, burnout is distinct in that work is always at its root. People often feel better as soon as they’re able to get away from the cause of their stress, Parker said. That’s not usually the case with depression.
That distinction is important to make, because by treating burnout as an illness—like depression or an anxiety disorder—we risk offering the wrong solutions, Maslach said. You can’t self-care away your burnout, she added. It’s not so much about the individual as it is the situation they’re in. You have to remove the cause of your stress, and that often requires structural changes in the workplace.
That was disappointing for me to hear. When I reached out for expert advice, I’d already spent several of the preceding months focused on getting more sleep, running more often, and trying to take short vacations. All of these habits support good mental health, and might even offer short-term relief, Bianchi says—but they don’t get at the root cause of burnout. You can take all the time off you need, he says, but without identifying the root causes of your stress, you’ll eventually return to the same place.
In scientific literature that investigates risk factors for burnout, six come up again and again, according to a review co-authored by Maslach and published in the 2016 book Stress: Cognition, Emotion, and Behavior. There’s workload, the amount of autonomy you have, and fairness in the workplace. Then there’s reward—how much your work is recognized and compensated—and workplace community, or the social support you receive from colleagues or clients. Finally, values and meaning: whether or not the work you’re doing syncs up with your ideals.
Employers have the power to prevent burnout by creating a fair and supportive workplace, Maslach says—one where people feel like they have autonomy and are able to cope with their workload. But people with burnout may need to troubleshoot which factors are negatively impacting them so they know how to take action on their own. For some people, Maslach says, curing burnout might necessitate moving organizations or switching fields entirely.
That wasn’t my route. Instead, I worked through Maslach’s six risk factors like a checklist. The more I thought about it, the more I came to believe that my work load itself wasn’t the main problem; instead, I realized that it had been a long time since I’d thought about what had initially excited me about journalism—talking to scientists, love for the craft of writing itself, the thrill of finding a new story—in other words, my values.
I created spreadsheets of topics that intrigued me, scientists I loved speaking to, and projects I had long put on the back-burner. Then, I brainstormed ways to make time for them, blocking off chunks of time for tasks like going down internet rabbit holes in search of stories.
While I expected the answer to involve loads of rest, curing my own personal case of burnout turned out to be a lot of work. But it was worth it. Three months after starting this research, words excite me again. I’m back to annoying my friends with facts about frogs and physics. And several times a week, without fail, I spend an afternoon in the coffee shop around the corner to work on my personal creative projects.
Nine months ago, before my burnout began, I told a friend “I feel like I have the best job in the world.” By getting to the root of my stress, I’ve managed to get that feeling back again.
By: Isobel Whitcomb
Isobel Whitcomb is a freelance health and environmental journalist based in Portland, Oregon. Passionate about covering the intersection of science and the human experience, they cover everything from wildfire to chronic pain. Her work in Popular Science focuses on exploring the wellness industry and debunking health misinformation.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter MP (1996). “MBI: The Maslach Burnout Inventory: Manual”. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE (1981). “The measurement of experienced burnout”. Journal of Occupational Behavior. 2 (2): 99–113. doi:10.1002/job.4030020205. S2CID 53003646.
- “Burn-out an “occupational phenomenon”: International Classification of Diseases”. WHO. 28 May 2019. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- Kaschka WP, Korczak D, Broich K (November 2011). “Burnout: a fashionable diagnosis”. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. 108 (46): 781–787. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2011.0781. PMC 3230825. PMID 22163259.
- “Professional Burnout”. Handbook of work and health psychology (PDF). Wiley. 1996. pp. 513–527.
- “Neurasthenia, or Nervous Exhaustion”. The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal. 80 (13): 217–221. doi:10.1056/NEJM186904290801301. ISSN 0096-6762.
- Marcus, G (1998-01-26). “One Step Back; Where Are the Elixirs of Yesteryear When We Hurt?”. The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- Beard, George Miller (1881). American Nervousness, Its Causes and Consequences: A Supplement to Nervous Exhaustion (neurasthenia). Putnam.
- Lipsitt, Don R. (September 2019). “Is Today’s 21st Century Burnout 19th Century’s Neurasthenia?”. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 207 (9): 773–777. doi:10.1097/NMD.0000000000001014. ISSN 0022-3018. PMID 31464987. S2CID 201667337.
- Greene G (1961). A Burnt-Out Case. William Heinemann Ltd. pp. cover title. ISBN 978-0140185393.
- Freudenberger HJ (January 1974). “Staff Burn-Out”. Journal of Social Issues. 30 (1): 159–165. doi:10.1111/J.1540-4560.1974.TB00706.X.
- Freudenberger HJ (1974). “Staff burnout”. Journal of Social Issues. 30: 159–165. doi:10.1111/j.1540-4560.1974.tb00706.x.
- “Inquiry into the correlation between burnout and depression”. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. 24 (6): 603–616. doi:10.1037/ocp0000151. PMID 30945922. S2CID 92997542.
- “Preventing occupational stress in healthcare workers”. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015 (4): CD002892. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002892.pub5. PMC 6718215. PMID 25847433.
- “Construction and evaluation of a self rating scale for stress-induced exhaustion disorder, the Karolinska Exhaustion Disorder Scale”. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 55 (1): 72–82. doi:10.1111/sjop.12088. ISSN 1467-9450. PMC 4235404. PMID 24236500.
- “2022 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code Z73.0: Burn-out”. http://www.icd10data.com. Retrieved 2022-07-15.
- “Burnout syndrome as an occupational disease in the European Union: an exploratory study”. Industrial Health. 56 (2): 160–165. doi:10.2486/indhealth.2017-0132. PMC 5889935. PMID 29109358.
- “Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders 5: A quick glance”. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 55 (3): 220–223. doi:10.4103/0019-5545.117131. PMC 3777342. PMID 24082241.
- “Psychiatry.org – Updates to DSM-5 Criteria & Text”. psychiatry.org. Retrieved 2022-07-14.
- “Chapter XXI: Factors influencing health status and contact with health services”. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision (ICD-10). World Health Organization. 2019.
- “Z73 Problems related to life-management difficulty”. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision (ICD-10). World Health Organization. 2019.
- “Z73 Burn-out”. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision (ICD-10). World Health Organization. 2019.
- “F43.8 Other reactions to severe stress”. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision
- “Exhaustion syndrome”. Mind. Retrieved 2022-07-14.
- “Dutch practice guidelines for managing adjustment disorders in occupational and primary health care”. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 29 (6): 478–487. doi:10.5271/sjweh.756. JSTOR 40967326. PMID 14712856.
- “WHO releases new International Classification of Diseases (ICD 11)”.
- “QD85 Burn-out”. icd.who.int.
- “24. Factors influencing health status or contact with health services”. icd.who.int. Retrieved 2019-05-28.
Categories in this chapter are provided for occasions when circumstances other than a disease
- “WHO | Burn-out an “occupational phenomenon”: International Classification of Diseases”.
- “Need for assistance at home and no other household member able to render care”. Archived from the original on 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- “ICD-11 Coding Tool Mortality and Morbidity Statistics (MMS)”. icd.who.int. Mortality and Morbidity Statistics”
More Remote Working Apps:
https://givvy-numbers.app.link/qNDZMGGbhsb Givvy Mobile Lottery
https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
https://www.bybit.com/en-US/invite?ref=ALEXP Bybit Crypto Trade
https://cashbox.money/r/6ded936cbc264c7e9add5dd5565bb31a Cash Box Money
https://alpariforex.org/fa/registration/?cpa_partner_id=13687690 Alpari Forex Trading
https://dealcheck.io?fp_ref=armin16 Dealcheck Real Estate Evaluator
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/381812/ BrandElevate Bundle information
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381807/ BrandElevate Ultimate
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381556/ WowBackgraounds Plus
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381689/ Your3DPal Ultimate
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/380877/ BigAudio Club Fast Pass
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/379998/ Podcast Masterclass
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/366537/ VideoGameSuite Exclusive
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381179 YTSuite Advanced
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381749/ Xinemax 2.0 Commercial
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/382455 Living An Intentional Life
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381812 BrandElevate Bundle
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381935 Ezy MultiStores
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381194/ DFY Suite 4.0 Agency
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381976/ AppOwls Bundle
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381615/ WOW Backgrounds 2.0
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381560 ALL-in-One HD Stock Bundle
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/382326/ Viddeyo Bundle
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/381617/ The Forex Joustar
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383751/ ADA Web Accessibility Compliance
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383942/ 10 Bold Actions In Positive Life & Work
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383706/ Adtivate Agency
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/384099/ My Passive Income Blueprints
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/329145/ Content Tool Kit
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383865/ QR Verse Bundle
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/379307/ VIADZ Ad Template
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383051/ EngageYard Ad Creator
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/383751/ Local Leader Bundle
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/383119/ Tonai Voice Content
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383848/ Vocalic Commercial
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383483/ Dropshiply Store Creator
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/384025/ Levidio Royal Podcasting
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383094/ Develop Self Empowerment
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379223/ Hostley Domain Creator
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383447/ Mech Forex Robot
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/383177/ Motion Kingdom Studio
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/144577/ Forex Blizz Trading
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383307/ Animaxime V2
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/375692/ Promovidz Promotion Videos
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/379051/ CanvaKitz Business Templates
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/383113/ Agencyscale Business Agency
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/347847/ Pitchdeck Professional Presentations
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381179/ YTSuite YouTube Ads Campaigns
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/382455/ Living an International Life
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/188236/ Galactic Dimension backgrounds
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381749/ Xinemax Hollywood Creator
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381194/ DFY Suite 4.0 Agency
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381231/ Appowls Mobile Apps
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381935/ Ezy Multi Stores
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381556/ WOW Backgrounds
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381685/ Your 3DPal
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381617/ Forex Joustar
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381129/ Ultrafunnels A.I
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/128215/ DUX Forex Signals
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381003/ Trendio Keyword Content
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381439/ FX Goldminer
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/378775/ Pixal 2.022
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/380087/ Big Audio Club
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379995/ Podcast Advantage
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/380543/ Local Sites
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/369500/ PodKastr Commercial
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/351606/ Insta Keyword
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/374505/ 7 Minutes Kit
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383057/ Aweber Crash Course
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/46987/ WP Simulator
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/379995/ Podcast Advantage
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/380692/ Boost Optimism
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/36517/ PlanB Muscle Growth
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/379480/ TV Boss Fire
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379455/ Webprimo Website Builder
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/384619/ Agency Client Finder
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/384625/ Power Reviews
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/384630/ Appoint B Agency
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/267113/ Sunday Freebie
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/384573/ EBook Agency
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/75989/ Ejaculation Total
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/359081/ Quit Smoking
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353694/ Mobi First
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/384848/ Heal Your Emptiness
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/382333/ Facebook Cash Machin
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/184902/ Video Games
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/358870/ Diabetes Guide
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/353334/ Fitness Nutrition Guide
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366872/ Organic Life Guide
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/367353/ Human Synthesys Studio
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/384653/ 9 figure Success
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/383809/ Crypto Kit
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/385046/ Stackable Picture
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/25069/ Forex Atlatian
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/132677/ Forex Scouts
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/378113/ Crypto Rocket
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/377665/ PigMoney Method
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/374345/ Crypto Underworld
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372305/ XBrain Forex
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383888/ Seniors Income
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/382796/ Ad Raven
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/324492/ Graphic Alta
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/382425/ Art Of Living
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/377815/ Credit Repair
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381337/ DFY Content Club
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381689/ 3D Pal Toons
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/380385/ Movid Animation
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/379244/ Extreme Adz
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/379020 Live Your Truth
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/47481/ Forex Blue Stark
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/144621/ Forex Mastery
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/144621/ Forex Mastery
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/95037/ Forex Hybrid Scalper
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/384759/ CourseAlly eLearning
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/385180/ EZ Local Appointment
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/380197/ Mat1 Simple Funnel
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/386249/ WordPress Mastery
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/371095/ Next Drive
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/216101/ Extreme Coupon
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/386305/ High Converting Emails
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/386337/ Email Monetizer