If you want to start a resale business to sell collectible, luxury, thrift, or pre-owned items, eBay could be the right platform for you. eBay sellers can make more than $1 million in sales, depending on their success listing and selling unique and in-demand items, such as sneakers, handbags, electronics, and furniture.
Your eBay store is only as good as your listings. The resale site hosts approximately 1.5 billion listings, so it’s a highly competitive space to get shoppers to click on yours. Most shoppers search for specific items based on commonly-used keywords, so your listing must outrank thousands of similar products on the site.
But there are some simple steps you can follow to ensure your listings stand out. eBay’s vice president of seller experience, Harry Temkin, said in a YouTube video that there are four essentials to the perfect listing.
Here’s how to improve your listings to get more eyes on your eBay store.
1. Maximize your title
You can use up to 80 characters for your item title. The words you choose will determine how shoppers find your listing in their searches. Use descriptive keywords, brand names, and model names to optimize search results leading to your item. For example, “Michael Kors Women’s Black Leather Purse Handbag” is more specific than “Black Designer Handbag.”
Always include the color of the item and include size if you’re selling clothing, shoes, or other wearable items.
2. Be specific in the item description
The same rules apply to your item description as your title. When you write your listing, eBay will show you how many buyers have searched for the terms you’ve used. The higher the number of recent searches, the more visible your item will be on the platform. This Killer Kentucky Derby Cocktail Could Unseat the Mint Julep—Here’s How to Make It
3. Take quality photos
High-quality photos are a must. Your listing photos are your first impression to shoppers, so yours will need to stand out in a sea of search results.
Photograph your products in good lighting with a clean background. Make sure the photo captures the true color of the item and doesn’t make it appear a shade darker or lighter. When in doubt, a white background will look crisp and highlight the details. eBay’s mobile app has a built-in photo editor that will automatically make your background white.
4. Ensure your price is right
Keep track of the prices other sellers set for products similar to yours. Your price should factor the demand, rarity, quality, and brand name of your item.
eBay’s “Terapeak product research” tab within the seller hub will help you research the most effective price for your product. It shows you other listings of similar products, sell-through rate, and average price.
SEE ALSO: A step-by-step guide to selling on eBay, including how to create the perfect listing and authenticate luxury items
MUST READ: Selling thrifted clothing on Instagram earns a college student an extra $1,000 a month. Here’s how she handles marketing and selling to her 36.6K followers.
Read more: Business Insider
Related Posts – USA News
- Recruiters often use ‘boolean logic,’ or advanced keyword searching, to track down candidates on LinkedIn. Here’s how to optimize your profile to end up at the top of their results. Summary List PlacementBoolean logic — if it sounds like a phrase straight out of an algebra textbook, that’s because it is. Developed by a 19th century mathematician, this research method allows people to seek out information using “and,” “or,” or “not” phrases and is widely used among recruiters as a way to filter through job candidate profiles with efficiency and speed. And job seekers who want to increase their visibility — making sure their information shows up among the results when filters meant to narrow the field of candidates are applied — can benefit if they take the time to…
- What gaslighting is, and 5 signs someone may be gaslighting you, according to a psychotherapist Summary List PlacementIn psychology, the term “gaslighting” occurs when someone tries to convince an individual into thinking they’re losing touch with reality. Over time, the victim often grows convinced that they can’t trust their own judgment. The term gaslight stems from a play in the 1930s where the husband manipulated small aspects of the environment — such as dimming the gaslights — to convince his wife that she was delusional. Now, gaslighting is frequently referenced in pop culture — perhaps you’ve heard the song “Gaslighter” by The Chicks (formerly the Dixie Chicks). While it’s often referenced in a fun manner…
- How to use Sign In with Apple to log into websites and apps with your Apple ID Summary List PlacementIf you’ve signed up for a website or app lately, you’ve probably noticed that most sites and apps offer you the option to sign in with Google or Facebook. If you choose one of those options, instead of creating new login information, you can use your pre-existing accounts to sign in. Now, many sites let you do this with your Apple ID too. In this case, you’ll use your Apple ID information to sign in. Apple claims that their version of this service is more secure than others. They have strict privacy rules, which can prevent untrustworthy websites…
- The best outdoor furniture sales to shop this Labor Day weekend from Wayfair, West Elm, and more Summary List Placement Labor Day Weekend 2020 is here, and with it are some great deals on outdoor furniture to help you soak up the last few weeks of summer. We found great deals from Ballard Designs, West Elm, Overstock, Wayfair, and more that will make shopping for outdoor lounging or dining furniture a whole lot more affordable. For more savings, check out our comprehensive list of the best Labor Day sales and check out Insider Coupons for more savings at hundreds of stores. Read more: The best places to shop for outdoor furniture If you’re lucky enough to have some sort of outdoor space…
- How to add alt text to images in Squarespace to make your website more accessible Summary List Placement You can add alt text to images in Squarespace to boost your website’s SEO and make it more accessible. An image’s file name acts as the alt text by default if no other alt text is provided. Changing or adding an image’s alt text can be accomplished with just a few clicks. Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories. Alt text, the text associated with an image that is sometimes displayed in place of an image, can help boost your site’s SEO (as search engines use alt text to identify the content of a webpage)…