And as we get older, so do they. In fact, dogs experience a lot of the same age-related changes that humans do, from greying hair and creaky joints to more serious conditions like cancer or cognitive decline. Today, scientists are learning how comparing different dog breeds can give us new insights into the aging process — for both our canine companions and their owners.
Old Dogs, New Tricks
One major project currently underway is the Dog Aging Project. Headquartered at the University of Washington, the project is working with dogowners across the country, gathering info about their pets’ lives, lifespans and medical ailments. The project has more than 32,000 dogs already enrolled, though co-director Daniel Promislow says it’s kind of just getting started. “Over this past year, we’ve sort of launched into the next phase, which is pretty exciting,” says Promislow. One key development:
Building out their logistics network, like where to store computer data and physical samples and how to make that data easy to sort through. The second development? Time. The scientists behind the project hope that this wealth of data could soon be used to see which health problems are commonly found together, and even figure out how long problem may lead to another.
“Once we move into this longitudinal phase, which we’re now doing, we can identify how something that happens early in a dog’s life eventually impact his health late in life. That’s the real power of discovery,” says Promislow. “Years in the future, a veterinarian could enter some information about the clinical history of a dog and know that a particular diagnosis was more or less likely.”
They’re also collecting DNA samples from the dogs, which could help reveal the underlying genetic causes of disease. Beyond that, dogs in particular present a rare opportunity for researchers thanks to the artificial selection pressures that have shaped them.
It’s All in the Genes
Exactly when and where dogs were first domesticated is a matter of debate, but scientists think it was at least 14,000 years ago. Since that fateful day, breeders have shaped our canine companions by repeatedly choosing for specific traits like intelligence, attitude, or speed. The signs of this artificial selection and in-breeding are visible in dogs genetics or, more specifically, the amount of variation in their genetics.
“Across all dogs, it’s about the same as us genetically,” says Promislow. “But within a single breed it’s like having a whole bunch of full siblings. Or even closer.” This means that specific breeds of dogs may have traits built into their genes.
Variation in a gene known as IGF1, for instance, accounts for nearly half of all size differences between breeds. What does this actually mean for researchers, though? Essentially, if a particular problem shows up frequently in a given breed, it may be due to something in that breed’s genes.
The IGF1 gene has been implicated as influencing both size and lifespan, possibly helping explain why large dogs tend to die younger than small ones, though it’s still being researched. Meanwhile, variants in a gene called SLC2A9 may be behind the high rate of urinary problems in Dalmatians, whereas a gene region called CDKN2A/B could contribute to the high rate of certain cancers in Bernese Mountain Dogs.
Looking at cancer in particular helped kickstart another major project, the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study, says geneticist Janet Patterson-Kane, the project’s principal investigator.
The research team has recruited a one-time cohort of over 3,000 golden retrievers and have been going since 2012. By looking at just one specific breed, they can zero in on the effects of individual genes. Plus, the fact that researchers are studying one breed helps them see things beyond just genetics, as well.
Because the dogs are quite similar genetically, you may be more likey to tease out the influence of something environmental or dietary to their health, says Patterson-Kane. “There’s a power in taking dogs that are quite similar to each other, and then you’re looking at the factors acting upon that,” says Patterson-Kane.
Lessons for Humans
What’s more, studying how dogs age could help us not only help our pets, but ourselves, too. The SLC2A9 gene that causes Dalmatian urinary problems also exists in humans, for example, and could be the target of future research. And with regards to environmental exposure, because our canine companions get exposed to a lot of what humans do — like home pesticides, second-hand smoke, or even asbestos — and suffer the same problems humans do, a dog’s health may serve as warnings for their owners.
Studies suggest that a pet dog contracting a type of lung cancer called mesothelioma could be an early warning sign of asbestos exposure for the humans in the household. Both The Dog Aging Project and The Golden Retriever Lifetime Study are still ongoing, though the researchers behind the latter say they’re now coming to the end of many of their enrollee dogs’ natural lifespan. “We are losing a lot of dogs right now.
It’s just one of those sobering things,” says Patterson-Kane. “But those samples from those dogs are a legacy to those dog’s lives. And after they’re gone, we’re still going to be getting those samples out looking at that data.” The hope is that more researchers, not just veterinarians but also people in other fields, will be able to use the group’s data.
The Dog Aging Project, meanwhile, is continuing to recruit new dogs. “The Dog Aging Project welcomes dogs of all ages, from puppies to geriatric dogs,” says Promislow, adding that the research project takes dogs from all around the country. “What better way to discover the cool things that science can do then, by doing it through this dog who you love and who’s a part of the family?”
By James Gaines
- https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
- https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
- http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick
- https://jvzcom/c/202927/376986 creaitecontentcreator
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR