More and more people are getting vaccinated, and some are even traveling. Which has led to a debate over whether countries should require COVID-19 vaccination passports or IDs. The European Union is proposing a so-called Digital Green Pass so vaccinated people can move more freely.
Family vacation in Italy? Business trip to China? No problem. Just show me your COVID-19 vaccine certificate. This might be the future. “I think it would certainly speed up the recovery of those sectors that have been slowed down or shut down because of risk of exposure to COVID,” said Glenn Melnick, a health economist at the University of Southern California.
Many worry about creating an underclass of unvaccinated people who also can’t travel. Dr. Wafaa el-Sadr at the Columbia Mailman School of Public Health said the U.S. still has a lot of work to do.
“I’m hopeful that if there’s a true commitment in this country to equity that we would be able to reach a point where we have been able to overcome the very real barriers that people are facing now in accessing vaccination,” she said.
And if it’s going to happen, Jennifer Nuzzo at Johns Hopkins University said, universal verification systems will be needed. “You are requiring countries to show proof of having provided something that is very hard to get, that can create incentives for perhaps not being completely transparent about what’s actually going on,” she said.
As other countries start to experiment with vaccine credentials, Americans who want to travel may have to participate.
- With tests optional, selective colleges report more applicants and longer waitlists
- Budget airlines may have an advantage as people seek low-cost leisure escapes
- Today’s numbers: The COVID economy
- Are Smart Proteins the Future of Food?
- Mercedes-Benz | All Eyes on the Future
- The Future of Entertainment Industry
- Demand Forecasting – An art to see the Future of Business
- Virgin Galactic CEO on the Future of Space Tourism
- How a Metal with a memory will shape our Future on Mars
- SpaceX Starship: What it Means for The Future of Space Travel
- The Path to Artemis III : Future of Human Deep Space Exploration Webinar
- The Aerospace Corporation | Shaping the Future of Space
- New Robot could make Soldiers Obsolete
- What is the Future of Robotics?
- This Robotic Car is the Future of Contact-Free Parcel Delivery
- The Future of Remote Learning in a post-Covid World
- SpaceX uses Robotic Dog to Investigate Starship SN10 Explosion after Landing
- Elon Musk on the Future of Humanity
- Avi Loeb – What is the Far Far Future of Humans in the Universe?
- What Will Humans Look Like in Future?
- Humans in 1000 Years From Now!
- What is the Far Far Future of Humans in the Universe?
- Designing our Future : Future of Health & Medicine
- Smaller, Better, Faster, Stronger: the “Antibodies” of the Future
- Not Just Brain Surgery : The Future of Neurosurgery at Penn Medicine
- DNA Vaccines Explained : The Future of Vaccination?
- Is Biotechnology the Future of Addiction Treatment?