Can regularly taking erectile dysfunction (ED) medications like Viagra and Cialis make it much harder for you to see? Well, a study just published in JAMA Ophthalmology found that men who regularly took phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors were 85% more likely to have suffered at least one of the following three major eye problems:
Serous retinal detachment (SRD), retinal vascular occlusion (RVO), and ischemic optic neuropathy (ION). Now, if you and your penis were to say, “still worth it,” keep in mind that all three conditions could lead to blindness. And when you are blind you can’t see your penis.
Chances are you don’t commonly use words such as phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor (PDE5Is) when making some romance. Such words probably rank lower than “amazeballs” and “sasquatch” in terms of sexiness and things to say in bed. However, you may be more familiar with specific PDE5Is such as sildenafil (e.g., Viagra), vardenafil (e.g., Levitra and Staxyn), tadalafil (e.g., Cialis), and avanafil (e.g., Stendra).
For the study, a team from the University of British Columbia (Mahyar Etminan, PharmD, MSc, Mohit Sodhi, MSc, Frederick S. Mikelberg, MD, and David Maberley, MD, MSc) identified 213, 033 men in the PharMetrics Plus database (IQVIA) who had regularly taken PDE5Is from January 1, 2006, through December 31, 2020.
They then compared what happened to these men to what happened to 4,584 men who didn’t regularly take PDE5Is. They had excluded anyone who had had diagnoses of SRD, RVO, or ION in the year prior. The average age of those in both the PDE5I-taking group and the control group was 64.6 years old.
During the study time period, there were 278 cases of SRD, 628 cases of RVO, and 240 cases of ION. Those who had SRD, RVO, or ION were more likely to have had chronic medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, and sleep apnea. However, even when controlling for such other risk factors, those who had regularly taken such ED medications were still 85% more likely to have suffered one of these three eye conditions.
They were 158% more likely to have had SRD, 44% more likely to have had RVO, and 102% more likely to have had ION. This translated to an additional 3.8 SRD cases, 8.5 RVO cases, and 3.2 ION cases per 10,000 person-years.
While your penis may regularly make decisions for you, your eyes and vision are pretty darn important as well. Typically, you can see things such as hot dogs or Madonna because light from these images passes through the cornea in the front of your eye, gets focused by your lens that sits behind your cornea, and then hits your retina, the layer of photoreceptors lining the back of your eye.
These photoreceptors convert the light into electrical signals, which then travel to your brain via your optic nerve. Your brain subsequently transforms these nerve signals into images so that you can say that that indeed is a plate of hot dogs and not Madonna.
Any kind of retinal detachment can interrupt this pathway. Retinal detachment is not an emotional state for your retina such as when it inexplicably doesn’t cry during the movie Up. Rather, it’s when your retina separates from the blood vessels that provide your retina oxygen and nourishment.Exudative or serous retinal detachment (SRD) is rare type of retinal detachment, which occurs when fluid accumulates under your retina and pushes it away from the blood vessels. This is not only serous, it’s also a serious condition and calls for emergency care.
Disrupting the blood flow to and from your retina or optic nerve can interrupt your visual pathway too. When blood flow to your optic nerve is messed up, ION can result. And RVO is when the veins carrying blood away from your retina get blocked.
It’s not completely surprising that ED medications like sildenafil and tadalafil might affect the blood flow to and from different parts of your eyes and optic nerves. Such medications act by inhibiting the action of phosphodiesterase enzymes that normally degrade cyclic guanosine monophosphatec (GMP) and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP).
As a result, the levels of cGMP/cAMP increase in the smooth muscle cells that line the walls of your blood vessels, which, in turn, can cause the smooth muscles to relax and the blood vessels to dilate and expand. Expanded blood vessels can send more blood flow to your penis, which can lead your penis doing stand up, so to speak. Mo blood can potentially mean mo erection.
That’s because it is blood that makes you hard and lifts you up, presumably not wires, CGI, or any other special effects. PDE5Is aren’t as penis focused as you may be, though. They can act on blood vessels throughout your body, including those that may affect your vision.
Of course, the results of this study don’t necessarily mean that you should immediately stop taking your ED medications and start Googling Swedish-made penis enlarger pumps or some other method not recommended by your doctor.
As an observational cohort study, this study can only show associations and not cause-and-effect. Moreover, it’s not as if people are losing vision left and right after taking sildenafil. You may not be hearing regular stories of people saying, “OK, babe, I’m ready for you. Babe? Babe, where are you?” The incidence of SRD, RVO, and ION was still quite low.
Nonetheless, this study’s findings do offer an additional warning that you shouldn’t treat ED medications as if they were candy or oysters. This certainly wasn’t the first study to show a link between PDE5I and major eye problems. There have been previous case reports and other epidemiologic studies as well. I covered one of these case reports for Forbes back in 2018, although that was a case of someone potentially taking too much sildenafil.
So, if you happen to have any problems with your penis, don’t just take matters into your own hands, so to speak, and jump to over-the-counter medications such as sildenafil. The words “over-the-counter” and “penis” don’t always go together. Instead, talk to your doctor first, and figure out together what to do about any standing problems. After all, indiscriminately taking ED medications can have some stiff consequences.
I am a writer, journalist, professor, systems modeler, computational and digital health expert, medical doctor, avocado-eater, and entrepreneur, not always in that….
Source: Erectile Dysfunction Meds Linked To 85% Higher Serious Eye Damage Risk, Study Says
- The Journal of Sexual Medicine. John Wiley & Sons on behalf of the International Society for Sexual Medicine. 11 (10): 2546–53. doi:10.1111/jsm.12647. ISSN 1743-6109. PMID 25059314. S2CID 9708426.
- “Can Your Diet Cause Erectile Dysfunction?”.
- “Erectile Dysfunction & Heart Disease”. http://www.clevelandclinic.org. Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Clinic. 17 July 2019. Retrieved 4 Association of Diet With Erectile Dysfunction Among Men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study”. JAMA Network Open. American Medical Association. 3 (11): e2021701. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.21701. ISSN 2574-3805. PMC 7666422. PMID 33185675. S2CID 226850997.
- “The association between plant-based diet and erectile dysfunction in Chinese men”. Basic and Clinical Andrology. BioMed Central. 31 (1): 11. doi:10.1186/s12610-021-00129-5. ISSN 2051-4190. PMC 8117588. PMID 33980148. S2CID 234476038.
- Relationship between Dietary Patterns with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Erectile Dysfunction: A Collaborative Review”. Nutrients. MDPI on behalf of the EAU‐YAU Sexual and Reproductive Health Group. 13 (11): 4148. doi:10.3390/nu13114148. ISSN 2072-6643. PMC 8618879. PMID 34836403. S2CID 244453931.
- The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. Physicians Postgraduate Press. 66 (6): 686–92. doi:10.4088/JCP.v66n0603. ISSN 1555-2101. PMID 15960560. S2CID 39581439.
- “Male Sexual Dysfunction Epidemiology”. Erectile dysfunction. “Causes of Erectile Dysfunction”. Erectile dysfunction. Armenian Health Network, Health.am. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- “Erectile Dysfunction Causes”. Erectile Dysfunction. Healthcommunities.com. 1998. Archived from the original on 2007-10-09. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- “Erectile dysfunction in the elderly male”. Turkish Journal of Urology. 43 (3): 247–251. doi:10.5152/tud.2017.70482. PMC 5562240. PMID 28861293.
- Erectile dysfunction in chronic kidney disease: From pathophysiology to management”.
- Addressing male sexual and reproductive health in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak”. Journal of Endocrinological Investigation. 44 (2): 223–231. doi:10.1007/s40618-020-01350-1. PMC 7355084. PMID 32661947.
- “Pornography Addiction: An Exploration of the Association Between Use, Perceived Addiction, Erectile Dysfunction, Premature (Early) Ejaculation, and Sexual Satisfaction in Males Aged 18-44 Years”. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 18 (9): 1582–1591. doi:10.1016/j.jsxm.2021.06.014. ISSN 1743-6109. PMID 34400111.
There was no evidence for an association between internet pornography use with erectile dysfunction, premature ejacula
- Is Pornography Use Related to Erectile Functioning? Results From Cross-Sectional and Latent Growth Curve Analyses”.
- Porn addiction is ruining lives, but scientists aren’t convinced it’s real”. CNET. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
- Is online pornography consumption linked to offline sexual dysfunction in young men? A multivariate analysis based on an international web-based survey”. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance. JMIR Publications Inc. 7 (10): e32542. doi:10.2196/32542. PMC 8569536. PMID 34534092.
- Erectile Dysfunction. Biota Publishing. pp. 6–.
- Tests for Erection Problems”. WebMD, Inc. Retrieved 2007-03-03..
- More Remote Working Apps:https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname marketing https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376986 creaite contentcreator https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing Newsletter PLR Monthly Membership https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial Drag-n-Drop Page Editor https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency Rights https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+ https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series 3rd Installment https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification Masterclass https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR