The shares of Baker Hughes (NASDAQ: BKR) currently trade 50% above pre-Covid levels observed in January 2020 while the shares of its competitor Schlumberger (NYSE: SLB) are up by just 3%. Does that make SLB stock a better pick over BKR? Both companies provide oil field services including drilling & completion and production solutions to upstream oil & gas companies in the U.S. and abroad. Due to lower benchmark price expectations in the long term, SLB and BKR incurred sizable impairment charges in 2020.
However, the recent uptick in the oil benchmark due to strong demand, supply constraints by the OPEC, and economic sanctions on Russia, have increased demand for oil rigs across the world. Given Baker Hughes’s lower financial leverage, comparable topline to Schlumberger, and a low valuation multiple, Trefis believes that the stock is a good pick to realize more gains.
We compare a slew of factors such as historical revenue growth, returns, and valuation multiple in an interactive dashboard analysis, Baker Hughes vs. Schlumberger: With Return Forecast Of 109%, Baker Hughes Is A Better Bet
1. Revenue Growth
Baker Hughes has observed a lower decline in revenues in recent years as compared to Schlumberger. Baker Hughes revenues observed an annual decline of 4% from $22.8 billion in 2018 to $20.5 billion in 2021, whereas Schlumberger reported an annual decline of 11% from $32.8 billion in 2018 to $22.9 billion in 2021. Top line contraction has largely been due to a decline in rig count figures and capital control measures implemented by upstream companies.
- Schlumberger’s four operating segments, Digital & Integration, Reservoir Performance, Well Construction, and Production Systems contribute 12%, 28%, 36%, and 24% of total revenues, respectively. The uncertain demand environment had persuaded upstream companies to limit capital expenses in the last two years. However, the surge in benchmark prices due to the Russia-Ukraine war has rekindled demand for oil field services – taking worldwide rig count figures from 1,521 in December 2021 to 1,850 at present. Moreover, the company’s digital solutions business is likely to assist margin expansion in the coming years.
- Baker Hughes’ four operating segments, Oilfield Services, Oilfield Equipment, Turbomachinery & Process Solutions, and Digital Solutions contribute 47%, 12%, 31%, and 10% of total revenues, respectively. The company’s international operations have been assisting the top line in recent times, which observed a 10% contraction from pre-pandemic levels and contributes 80% of total revenues.
- After reporting relatively flat revenues for FY2021, Baker Hughes and Schlumberger are expected to observe strong growth in FY2022. (related: How Does Schlumberger Make Money?)
As both companies incurred sizable impairment charges leading to 25% contraction of the balance sheet, we compare their cash generation capabilities. In 2021, Schlumberger generated $4.6 billion of operating cash from $22.9 billion in total revenues – implying an operating cash flow margin of 20%. Whereas Baker Hughes reported $20.5 billion in total revenues and $2.3 billion of operating cash flow – resulting in a margin of 11%.
- Schlumberger’s cash generation capabilities have been stronger than Baker Hughes which has resulted in a sizable difference in the P/S ratio. In 2021, Schlumberger and Baker Hughes’ P/S multiple was 1.5 and 1.2 respectively. Historically, it has been observed that there is a difference of 0.5 units between Schlumberger and Baker Hughes.
- However, the difference between Schlumberger’s non-cash depreciation charges and capital expenditures was higher than Baker Hughes – affecting the operating cash flow margin figures.
- Before the pandemic, Schlumberger returned 50% of operating cash to shareholders as dividends and invested 30% in property, plant & equipment as capital expenses.
- Whereas, Baker Hughes had been investing its operating cash in capital assets.
- Both companies implemented cash control measures and limited capital expenses as well as dividend payouts due to the pandemic. Given Schlumberger’s higher cash generation capabilities and historical dividend trends, it is a good pick to earn consistent dividend income.
Per annual filings, Schlumberger and Baker Hughes reported $13 billion and $6.7 billion of long-term debt, respectively. While a shrinking asset base due to impairment charges is a drag on shareholder returns, Baker Hughes’ lower financial leverage is a boon during uncertain times.
- Higher financial leverage coupled with continued revenue growth augments equity returns. However, interest expenses weigh on finances as revenues decline – limiting dividend payouts and capital expenses.
- Schlumberger’s higher financial leverage compared to Baker Hughes, despite similar revenues and a comparable balance sheet size, makes SLB stock a riskier bet.
- In 2021, Schlumberger and Baker Hughes’ total assets were $41 billion and $35 billion, respectively.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio that’s beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
Led by MIT engineers and Wall Street analysts, Trefis (through its dashboards platform dashboards.trefis.com) helps you understand how a company’s products.
Source: Is This Stock A Better Pick Over Schlumberger?
U.S. oil field services company Baker Hughes said Saturday that it was suspending new investments for its Russia operations, a day after similar moves were announced by rivals Halliburton Co. and Schlumberger.
The steps from the Houston, Texas-based businesses come as they respond to U.S. sanctions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. In its statement, Baker Hughes, which also has headquarters in London, said the company is complying with applicable laws and sanctions as it fulfills current contractual obligations. It said the announcement follows an internal decision made with its board and shared with its top leadership team.
“The crisis in Ukraine is of grave concern, and we strongly support a diplomatic solution,” said Lorenzo Simonelli, chairman and CEO of Baker Hughes. Halliburton announced Friday that it suspended future business in Russia. Halliburton said it halted all shipments of specific sanctioned parts and products to Russia several weeks ago and that it will prioritize safety and reliability as it winds down its remaining operations in the country.
Schlumberger said that it had suspended investment and technology deployment to its Russia operations. “Safety and security are at the core of who we are as a company, and we urge a cessation of the conflict and a restoration of safety and security in the region,” Schlumberger CEO Olivier Le Peuch said in a statement.
Oil companies ExxonMobil, Shell, and BP, along with some major tech companies like Dell and Facebook, were among the first to announce their withdrawal or suspension of operations. Many others, including McDonald’s, Starbucks and Estee Lauder, followed. Roughly 30 companies remain.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Wednesday asked Congress to press U.S. businesses still operating in Russia to leave, saying the Russian market is “flooded with our blood.”
How advances in heart imaging can help improve diagnoses
Study finds 1 in 5 N.J. drivers distracted ahead of new awareness campaign
Camden’s IDEA Center celebrates National Poetry Month by honoring late poets
Ukrainian forces retake areas near Kyiv amid fear of traps
Pennsylvania lawmakers push pro-fossil fuel bills, citing Russia’s war and need for energy security
Biden finds no respite at home after returning from Europe
Philadelphia: Considering the Future and the Past
The Moth Mainstage Philadelphia
WHYY’s Lifelong Learning Award Honoring Coach Dawn Staley
More Remote Working Apps:
https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname marketing https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376986 creaite contentcreator https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing Newsletter PLR Monthly Membership https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial Drag-n-Drop Page Editor https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency Rights https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+ https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series 3rd Installment https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification Masterclass https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR