“Many people report that they benefit from drinking lemon water first thing in the morning,” says Justin Houman, MD, a urologist available on Sesame. “They find it feels energizing and refreshing, alongside of course being thirst-quenching.”
However, there might be other impacts that drinking lemon water can have on your body, particularly your bladder. Here’s what two urologists have to say about how lemon water impacts your bladder health—including whether it’s beneficial or irritating—and provide recommendations for reaping the most bladder-boosting benefits from lemon water.‘I’m a Urologist, and These Are the Foods I Always Eat for…These Are the 10 Most Important Things We Learned From a Urologist…
How Lemon Water Impacts Your Bladder
First off, let’s quickly clear the air on one common misconception: Lemon water and lemonade are not the same. “Many people are told that lemon water and lemonade are natural treatments for common urological issues such as kidney stones, urinary tract infections (UTIs), and urinary incontinence, but in reality, lemonade is often full of bladder irritants like sugar and artificial coloring and flavoring, so those attempting to get the benefits of lemon water should not use lemonade as a substitute,” says Shenelle N. Wilson, MD, urologist and founder and CEO of Urology Unbound.
That being said, lemon water is certainly also no cure-all for bladder infections and doesn’t have miraculous powers that will make much of a difference in solving real-deal conditions like kidney stones or UTIs. “Lemon water will not dissolve existing stones, and it also won’t help stones pass any easier than if you were drinking plain water without lemon.
Lemon water also does not prevent or treat UTIs or urinary incontinence, and any benefits derived for these conditions are due to the increased water intake associated with drinking lemon water and water in general,” says Dr. Wilson. “If you have a UTI, for instance, drinking lemon water will not cause the infection to clear up on its own. You’ll likely need a round of antibiotics, as prescribed by a physician.”
According to Dr. Wilson, however, it can work in tandem with other lifestyle habits and dietary measures to support your bladder and its health. “Drinking lemon water can be a healthy habit that encourages optimal bladder health by providing much-needed hydration to the body—and that’s enough of a reason to drink it in the day,” she says.
What’s more, Dr. Wilson shares that drinking lemon water may help ward off the development or recurrence of kidney stones over time due to its ability to impact calcium oxalate formation, as shown in a recent study in the journal Europe PMC. “Lemon water can increase urinary citrate and urine pH, thereby potentially reducing one’s risk for formation of the most common type of kidney stone, calcium oxalate,” Dr. Wilson says.
Dr. Houman agrees, and adds this there may be slight immune- and digestion-boosting benefits to drinking lemon water as well. “Some patients who are prone to kidney stones are actually advised to drink freshly-squeezed lemon juice daily, as it may help reduce the chances of kidney stone formation, but more research is needed.
The acidity of lemons can also help supplement the acidity in your stomach, which tends to decline with age, so drinking lemon water may help with digestion as we age,” he says. It’s important to keep in mind that these benefits are likely minor—you’re only consuming a small portion of a lemon by squeezing it into a glass of water, after all.
Are There Drawbacks To Drinking Lemon Water?
Despite the benefits of drinking lemon water, some people may get adverse reactions or feel GI or bladder discomfort from the acid. So if that’s the case, it’s best to ditch the lemons and focus on drinking plain water in adequate amounts each day to best serve bladder health and function. “Lemon water can irritate the bladder in some patients, causing the sensation where you feel like you need to urinate more often than usual,” says Dr. Houman.
“Patients who are prone to irritative bladder symptoms in particular are advised to avoid citric foods, such as lemons, oranges, grapefruits, and tomatoes. Diluting your lemon water more heavily may decrease the irritative symptoms you are experiencing, but generally speaking, it’s probably not worth it.”
Plain water offers virtually as many bladder benefits, adds Dr. Wilson, so you won’t be missing too much if lemon water doesn’t agree with your urological or digestive system. “Simply drinking at least two and a half liters of water daily is among the most important ways to help prevent kidney stones from recurring, so I would advise patients sensitive to lemon water discontinue the consumption of it if it causes them discomfort,” says Dr. Wilson.
Additionally, if you struggle with nocturia—or the need to urinate frequently in the middle of the night—lemon water before bed may not be the best idea. “There is no ideal time to drink lemon water, but since lemon is a natural diuretic, I would recommend patients who struggle with frequent urination at night to stop drinking it, as well as all other fluids, at least two hours before bedtime,” says Dr. Wilson.
Beyond that, Dr. Wilson says that there isn’t any negative influence on the bladder to worry about regarding lemon water. “There’s no drawback to drinking lemon water from a urological standpoint,” she says. So if you enjoy it for its flavor and find that it’s helpful for keeping you hydrated, drink as much as you like.
How to Drink Lemon Water
It doesn’t need to be fancy. You can drink lemon water warm—try boiling water and infusing it with lemon juice and zest—or you can squeeze lemon juice into a glass of cold water or pitcher and store it in the fridge for ease and accessibility. You can also sprinkle in anti-inflammatory spices like cayenne or turmeric, or drop in additional pieces of fruit or herbs for even more flavor and health benefits.
“Many who make a habit of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning consider it to be a healthy way to start a happy, productive day,” says Dr. Houman. Are who are we to suggest there’s anything wrong with that? If you find that drinking lemon water in the morning improves your wellbeing and eases you into the day, then there’s zero reason to stop your daily practice.
“I’ve heard about the various ways people incorporate lemon water into their diet and drink it often myself,” agrees Dr. Wilson. “As a urologist, I don’t manage my patients’ mood or energy levels, but when I need to alkalinize a patient’s urine, I discuss lemon water in that capacity.
However, I also often prescribe medications for that purpose. So while I am a big believer and follower of naturopathic and dietary remedies, as a physician I don’t make general recommendations for treatments or therapies that have not been really proven in the medical literature,” says Dr. Wilson.
Isadora Baum is a freelance writer, certified health coach, and author of 5-Minute Energy. She writes for various publications, including Men’s Health, LIVESTRONG, Women’s Health, Cooking Light, SELF, AllRecipes, Health, POPSUGAR, and more. She can’t resist a good sample, a margarita, a new HIIT class, or an easy laugh.
- https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
- https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
- http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick
- https://jvzcom/c/202927/376986 creaitecontentcreator
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR