- Lisa Shalett, the CIO of wealth management at Morgan Stanley, said in a note last week that stock investors have been too optimistic.
- She argued that recent strength in stocks may be a bear-market rally driven by “wishful thinking” and excess liquidity.
- Shalett laid out three risks, including Fed policy tightening, higher rates, and macroeconomic headwinds.
Investors should be wary of stock-market stability off recent lows, says the CIO for Morgan Stanley’s wealth management division.
“Recent strength in the equities market may be nothing more than a report.rally, fueled by wishful thinking and excess ,” Lisa Shalett wrote in a recent
Despite a rocky week, global stock indexes are still up markedly from recent lows, with the S&P 500 and tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 having gained more than 3% over the past month. But both benchmarks are still down big on the year as investors have grappled with sky-high inflation, rocketing commodity prices, and a series of rapid US rate increases.
Shallett said the gains seen so far in April were down to investors hoping the “soft landing” by raising rates quickly enough to cool inflation but without sending the economy into a .would engineer a
The Fed raised interest rates in March for the first time since 2018, taking a big step to tame inflation at its highest for 40 years in the US, and planned a series of at least six more hikes this year. Markets are pricing in expectations for a 50-basis point hike from the Fed’s next meeting in May and possibly more at subsequent meetings.
The Fed is also expected to shrink its balance sheet by $95 billion a month, according to its most recent meeting minutes. Futures markets show investors believe US rates could be as high as 2.75% by the end of this year, compared with 0.5% right now.
Shalett said she disagrees with the view that investors seem to hold that the Fed hiking interest rates wouldn’t affect stock valuations, and were ignoring macroeconomic risks from the Russia-Ukraine war and slowing growth.
“Morgan Stanley’s Global Investment Committee disagrees with these sanguine views and believes some of the more cautious signals coming from the bond market may better reflect the likely path ahead,” she said.
For starters, she said the Fed is expected to raise rates more times than market expected three months ago and would cut billions more a month than expected from its asset holdings.
“Such aggressive tightening will make the Fed’s policy execution highly complex, and historical examples suggest that even when the central bank does manage to land the economy softly, markets often feel a much harder impact,” she said.
In her opinion, investors are underestimating the potential hit to the stock market from a series of rapid rate rises and the effect those have on the underlying economy.
“This may be wishful thinking. We believe the Fed is apt to tighten policy more than many investors expect, impacting real rates and valuations as a result,” she said.
Lastly, Shalett said input costs, including wages, are still rising for companies, US growth will slow and there is a real risk of recession in Europe stemming from Russia’s war in Ukraine, especially if the single currency bloc halts imports of Russian energy.
With all that in mind, the double-digit gains of 2020 and 2021 will be harder to pull off, she said. “As financial conditions tighten, a strong but slowing economy is unlikely to be enough to power substantial passive index gains from here,” she said.
Yields will rise for two reasons: (1) more potential renters than landlords and (2) house prices will fall. So, over the coming period we will see higher rents and lower house prices leading to higher rental yields and ultimately a huge investment opportunity.
The Chinese stock market has, since the credit crisis started, lost 50% of its value, much more than the developed world’s markets but the difference is that we consider that China’s stock market is still a primary bull market. Accordingly, we cautiously sit on the sidelines waiting for the best opportunity to buy it.
More Remote Working Apps:
- https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
- https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
- http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick
- https://jvzcom/c/202927/376986 creaitecontentcreator
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR