Branding strategies can make or break an organization. There’s a lot that goes into developing a successful brand, and the best companies around the world put substantial time and effort into brand development and image. Creating a successful brand requires time and research commitment and is an ongoing strategy that can yield amazing results.
However, small businesses at the start of their inception can potentially create crucial branding mistakes during their initial stages of development that costs them a lot of customers, money, and time. Even major brands make big branding mistakes, like Nintendo’s Virtual Boy and Amazon’s Fire Phone.
Brand research services for positioning strategies, brand mapping, and perceptual mapping can help you, whether you’re a small business or a long-time market player, to avoid pitfalls and the costly mistakes of failed brand positioning.
Common Branding Mistakes by New Businesses and Entrepreneurs
Do you remember Nintendo’s Virtual Boy in 1995? You might not because it’s one of Nintendo’s biggest failures in the history of the company. It didn’t offer what it promised, a true VR experience, resulting in incredibly low sales and quick removal from the market. What about Amazon’s Fire Phone in 2014? It only lasted one year because of its limited availability and features that didn’t resonate with audiences. Even major companies like Nintendo and Amazon have to be careful about product or service branding that can tarnish their reputation and result in massive profit loss.
Even small branding mistakes can cost a company. Not only will your efforts and time spent towards planning to be lost, but you will have cost your business a lot of money and even potentially tarnish your reputation permanently, which can be completely devastating for the longevity of a brand.
Below are seven mistakes that you can avoid when it comes to brand positioning so that you learn more about them and avoid them altogether:
- Lack of Competitor Research
You have to learn about your competitors if you want to be successful. How do they position their brand? What types of products and services do they offer? How are they perceived in their respective industry? How are they succeeding? Do you have a potential opportunity in the market where they do not? You don’t want to identically replicate your competitor’s strategies. But you do have to learn everything there is to know about the successes and failures of your competitors so that you know how to uniquely position yourself in the market.
- Brand Messaging Doesn’t Suit Target Audience If you can’t develop a brand message that fits with your target audience, nobody is going to buy from you. You have to learn everything about your target audience like demographics, what they like to buy, where they shop, what times of the day or times of the year do they make purchases related to your offerings, what colors motivate and drive them to make purchases, what parts of the world are they located, how does culture affect purchasing, and many more.
- Failed Market Study
Effective market research needs to be obtained about how people are reacting to your brand, products, or services. Survey analysis can be obtained to further your market research and understanding, or a complex study of social media research and analysis can help you to understand how people review or perceive you in the market. If you don’t analyze feedback from your customer base, you will be making a costly mistake in your brand research initiatives.
- Association or Dissociation with Events and Motives Just because you want to create a product or service or build your brand around a particular design or niche space in the market, doesn’t mean it will be successful. You can’t just build and sell tablets just because iPad’s are popular, create a bottled water company because you feel people will always need to drink water, or design makeup and cosmetics because there is a popular trend in that space this year. You have to delve deeply into your brand research strategy to truly understand the reasoning behind purchasing decisions and product and service popularity.
- Inconsistent Corporate Identity Everything about your brand identity has to make sense, from the colors that you choose to represent your company, to the logo and fonts that you use throughout your campaigns, to the style of writing, tone and messaging that you implement to speak to and reach audiences. Everything has to remain consistent so that people understand your brand values and what you are offering them. If you fail, you could spend a lot of time rebranding and causing confusion to your audience and miss a lot of opportunities.
- Poor Product Packaging
Product packaging is the first thing people see when looking at your brand, whether they are online or physically in store locations. Everything from materials, graphics, size, shape, and color all are important elements of packaging designs. You could spend a lot of money rebranding your packaging if your product performs poorly. On the other hand, you might spend money rebranding your packaging when it isn’t even necessary and have to revert back to the way it was. Effective brand research is going to help you understand the best elements and packaging designs that will help your company thrive.
- Making the Wrong Impression If you are selling premium services, you don’t want to use commodity branding. You will deter audiences from your brand. There is a reason why so many fast food restaurant chains use the colors red and yellow, like Burger King, MacDonald’s, Wendy’s, and Carl’s Jr., and software companies use blue and black like Intel, IBM, Apple, or Google. People associate certain attributes to particular products and designs. People won’t understand what you are offering them if you make the wrong impression. Pay particular attention to detail and use the right research and analysis to make a lasting impression that makes sense with audiences.
How Brand Research Can Help
Brand marketing research is integral to the success of organizations in the modern world. In fact, no business out there that is successful in today’s market leaves home without brand research.
Brand research improves your competitiveness, visibility, and messaging and can help your business take a strategic position in the market using proven data from effective research and analysis services. Here are some of the major benefits of effective brand research:
- Integrated Metrics: You can see the impacts of your project decisions and forecasts with measurable and tangible results.
- Allocate Market Spend: Understand how to make investments that will lead to successful outcomes.
- Identify Competition: You can not only find out who your competition is, but you can find out how and why they are successful in the market, or even discover how to position your brand in areas where your competition is lacking.
- Develop Accurate Strategies: Create informed decisions built on a foundation of research and analytics with a better understanding of market developments, pricing, and positioning.
- Capture Target Audience: Better understand consumer behavior and create effective marketing and advertising strategies.
- Brand Perception: Truly understand how audiences feel and react to your brand, products and services.
Effective Brand Research for Organizations Across Industries
Research Optimus (ROP) has top research and analyst specialists who are tenured in market research, business research, customer analysis, and brand research services that provide the required insights to take the appropriate steps towards building effective and long lasting business brand awareness, brand marketing, and positioning strategies. Apart from services like market research, product research, and risk analysis, contact our team today to jump start or further advance your journey into brand research and obtain the targeted insights you need to avoid branding mistakes.
An introduction to brand strategy, and the tangible and intangible elements that make up a brand. And a brief discussion of the questions of to ask in order to focus and improve your brand strategy. Learn More: https://www.decisionanalyst.com/servi…
ROI Focused Digital Marketing Agency in Kolkata, India http://www.digitale.co.in – Today[…] Brand Marketing Strategy Project Launch Omni-Channel Identity E-Commerce Roadmap for Customer Acquisition FMCG […]0
What Makes A Successful Brand? – Aepiphanni Business Consulting aepiphanni.com – Today[…] We currently live in a time when business is shifting over from product marketing to brand marketing […]0
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: MARKETING MANAGER 4 SUNNYVALE CA USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 19 Senior Brand Marketing Manager Fremont, CA, USA We are looking for a Senior Brand Strategy Manager with a proven trac […] A minimum of 4-6 years of marketing experience (at least 3 years in brand marketing in grocery/food […]N/A
Drive Growth by Picking the Right Lane — A Customer Acquisition Playbook for Consumer Startups | First Round Review firstround.com – Today[…] g PR, brand marketing), but the lanes outlined above are the only reliable paths for long-term and sustainable busines […]3
trivago N : Q4 2020 Shareholder Letter | MarketScreener http://www.marketscreener.com – Today[…] likely return to travel at different points in time, we believe that we will need to implement a brand marketing strategy that is more granular in approach in order to more efficiently target our customers an […]0
02/11/21: Call of Duty League locked in a deal with USAA http://www.cynopsis.com – Today[…] Associate Manager, Brand Marketing WB Games Burbank CA https://careers […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: COPYWRITER PERFORMANCE MARKETING US NEW YORK NY USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 17 Brand Marketing Lead / Content Manager New York, NY, USA You will also be responsible for working with designers […]N/A
It’s never too late to innovate | The Content Mix veracontent.com – Today[…] Lim Maravillas, global head of marketing enablement and Bernardo Lemgruber, head of content and brand marketing, join Shaheen Samavati today to discuss the history of the company and their recent evolutions […]0
Consumers increasingly seeing the benefits of rechargeable batteries, finds Panasonic – http://www.retailtimes.co.uk – Today[…] are looking for The global pandemic has changed the way people shop, explains Vicky Raman, brand marketing manager – Panasonic Energy Europe […]3
What is growth marketing? | Positive Hüman http://www.positivehuman.co – Today[…] when you think about the difference between growth marketing and traditional marketing strategy (brand marketing, for example). Traditional marketers are usually doing some kind of brand marketing […] ) Brand marketing is useful once a company has product market fit; is in a traditional industry; or is selling t […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: STRATEGIC MARKETING DIRECTOR DENVER CO USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Drive strategy and execution of brand marketing initiatives through video content storytelling […]N/A
Hyatt Announces Hyatt Loves Local Initiative in Support of Local Small Businesses http://www.newsexperts.in – Today[…] opportunity to support local communities,” said Amy Weinberg, senior vice president, brand loyalty, brand marketing and consumer insights, Hyatt […]2
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: MARKETING DIRECTOR BATAVIA IL USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 28 Brand Marketer – Direct Sales Wheaton, IL, USA Brand marketing and assisting our sales and marketing team * Using proven methods to connect with […]0
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: MARKETING OPENINGS ELIZABETH NJ USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] * Partner with creative and brand marketing team members to […] Apply Now>> 15 Brand Marketing Director New York, NY, USA Reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications […]0
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: BRAND MARKETING ASSISTANT HOBOKEN NJ USA http://www.e-physician.info – TodayFIND THE PERFECT JOB! keywords location distance 1 Brand Marketing Director New York, NY, USA The Director of Brand Marketing works in close collaboration with the Programming team, Director of […] Apply Now>> 2 Brand Marketing Lead / Content Manager New York, NY, USA THE ROLE We are looking for a Brand Marketer to lead th […] Apply Now>> 3 Brand Marketing Assistant Hoboken, NJ, USA The team leads the design, planning, and implementation of nationa […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: MARKETING MANAGER CLEARWATER FL USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 6 Brand Marketing Manager Saint Petersburg, FL, USA Brand Marketing Manager – Kingpin Tattoo Supply FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: Kingpin Tattoo Supply Genera […] Kingpin Tattoo Supply General Manager EEOC: Mid-Level Officials and Managers POSITION SUMMARY: The Brand Marketing […] Apply Now>> 36 Marketing Account Coordinator – Brand Marketing GURU Clearwater, FL, USA Marketing, client relations, sales, advertising, management) * Exceptional […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: BRAND DIRECTOR MUSIC CATEGORY FORT LAUDERDALE FL USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Brand Marketing and Sales team for the Beverage Appliance category in the Appliance & Cookware […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: MARKETING MANAGER LOS ANGELES CA USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 3 Brand Marketing Manager Los Angeles, CA, USA The Brand Marketing Manager is responsible for leading brand and product marketing strategy/activity across all owne […]N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: EVENT MANAGER TRAINEE MARKETING PROMOTIONS SANTA ANA CA USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 15 Brand Marketing Manager Irvine, CA, USA Planet Technology is seeking a Brand Marketing Manager on a contract to hire basis, with a […] Brand Marketing in cultural development, promotions and key partnerships to execute culturally […]N/A
Breakfast w/ Brand, Marketing & Comms Specialists http://www.joinclubhouse.com – TodayThursday, February 11 at 8:00am GMT with Brett Goldhawk, Dominic South, Marc Elmer, Annica Wainwright, Jessica Wicks, Sonya Gonzalez Mier, Shelley Harrison, Isabel Lydall, Paul Doran, Richard Medley, Fran Bridgewater, Leonie Jackson, Nick Raeburn.N/A
HOT JOBS & COOL JOBS: DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER TAMPA FL USA http://www.e-physician.info – Today[…] Apply Now>> 12 Brand Marketing Manager Saint Petersburg, FL, USA […] Apply Now>> 35 Marketing Account Coordinator – Brand Marketing GURU Clearwater, FL, USA Marketing, client relations, sales, advertising, management) * Exceptional […]N/A
Uber Technologies (UBER) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript http://www.fool.com – Today[…] like Europe, we are continuing to lean into delivery opportunities, including with incremental brand marketing spend, customer acquisition spend, as well as investments in our growing grocery and other ne […]1
Race Ahead CLE | Promotional Products and Apparel | Brand Marketing | Anaheim, CA – Home http://www.promoplace.com – TodayRace Ahead CLE. Best selection of promotional items, apparel and corporate gifts. Let us earn your business with our 1st class service and low prices.3
Enterprise Content Strategist at Citizens jobs.citizensbank.com – Today[…] cost and resource availability Lead paid social media content marketing efforts for community and brand marketing programs and partners closely with social distribution teams to ensure successful execution o […]N/A
Kelly Linkous (she/her) on LinkedIn: Build Your Career with Confidence. http://www.linkedin.com – Today[…] RealSelf is seeking a Director of Marketing Strategy to define and deliver our Consumer and Brand marketing strategy and OKRs […]0