With the rise of the gig economy and with many companies adopting flatter, more flexible organizational structures, now is the perfect time to refocus on what good leadership looks like. Because, in our rapidly changing workplaces, leadership will apply to more people than ever before. You may be overseeing a project that requires you to coordinate several team members. Or you may be a gig worker collaborating with other gig workers.
Or you may be occupying a traditional management role. Whatever your job title, this precious ability to bring out the best in people will be a vital part of success.Of course, being a good leader really requires us to polish up multiple skills at once. Here are ten skills that I think are essential for leaders – with a few pointers on how to develop them.
1. Motivating others
The ability to motivate others is all part of inspiring people to be the best they can be. So how can you better motivate others?
· Ensure people know how their role contributes to the company’s vision. That their work matters, basically.
· Be clear on what you need people to do, why, and when. But, importantly, give people the autonomy to accomplish those tasks their way.
· Show your appreciation and celebrate success.
2. Fostering potential
Great leaders look for potential, not performance. Here are three ways to foster potential:
· Don’t fall into the trap of getting people to think and act like you. Encourage them to think and act like them.
· Let people know that it’s okay to fail sometimes. This is all part of inspiring people to take risks, step outside their comfort zone and test new ideas.
· Don’t let people grow complacent. Encourage them to develop their skills and think about the next stage of their career, whatever that may be.
3. Inspiring trust
What makes a leader trustworthy? The following behaviors are a good start:
· Being ethical. This means being honest and transparent, keeping promises, and generally making sure you don’t say one thing and then do another.
· Making your values clear and, of course, living those values.
· Standing up for what you believe in.
4. Taking on and giving up responsibility
Good leaders take on responsibility, but they also know when to let go of responsibility and delegate to others. When doing this, try to:
· Play to the strengths of those around you and allocate responsibility accordingly.
· Ensure people have the knowledge, resources, and tools they need to succeed.
· Decide how you’ll monitor progress without micromanaging. For example, you can agree on how the person will report back to you and how often – as well as the best way for them to raise any questions.
5. Thinking strategically
Strategic thinking requires leaders to take a wider view, so they can solve business problems and make a long-term plan for the future. To enhance your strategic thinking skills:
· Remember the difference between urgent and important. Urgent fire-fighting tasks can suck up a lot of your time and energy, leaving very little bandwidth for those things that are important from a big-picture perspective but not urgent. Constantly remind yourself of your priorities, and manage your time accordingly.
· Use critical thinking to gather data and find solutions to your most pressing strategic questions. For example, “Where will our growth come from in three or five years’ time?”
· Don’t rely on assumptions or gut instincts when answering such questions.
6. Setting goals and expectations for everyone
Setting goals is a great way to drive performance. But have you considered a more dynamic way of setting goals?
· Instead of the traditional, top-down approach (where leadership sets strategic goals, then managers set goals for teams and individuals), you might like to consider the Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) approach.
· With OKRs, leadership sets some strategic OKRs for the business, then each team and individual designs their own OKRs that contribute to achieving the company’s strategic OKRs.
· OKRs should be simple and agile. Forget annual goal-setting; OKRs are typically set on a monthly or quarterly basis.
If you’d like to know more about OKRs, check out my related articles.
7. Giving (and receiving) feedback
Good leaders are able to give and receive feedback, both positive and negative (or, as I prefer to call it, constructive). When it comes to giving people constructive feedback:
· Don’t put it off. You don’t want to overwhelm someone with a loooong list of everything they’re getting wrong. Instead, have a process in place for regular catchups, where you can chat through progress and give feedback.
· Don’t dilute constructive feedback with praise. While it’s important to regularly give people praise, I wouldn’t do it at the same time as constructive feedback. When you sandwich negative comments with a positive comment on either side, there’s a risk the person may only hear the good stuff.
· Be specific, not emotional. Just treat it as a straightforward conversation, using specific, concrete examples instead of opinions or emotions.
8. Team building
A good leader is a bit like a football manager in that they have to pick strong players who perform different roles and then shape those players into a cohesive unit. As part of this:
· Remember, each person will bring their own unique skills and experiences, be motivated by different things, have different working styles, and so on. Embrace this rather than trying to get everyone to behave the same way.
· Model the behaviors you want to see: connecting as human beings, showing an interest, listening to each other, treating people with respect and dignity, and supporting one another.
· Give feedback and reward a job well done.
If you show up with a negative “this won’t work, that thing sucks, why do we bother” kind of attitude, it’ll soon spread throughout your team. Here’s how to lead from a place of positivity:
· Think carefully about the language you use, verbally and in writing. Use words with positive connotations – turning a “problem” into an “opportunity” being a prime example.
· Celebrate successes, big and small. Highlighting the little wins frequently can be just as impactful as sporadically celebrating the big wins.
· Resist the urge to complain in front of your team. As Tom Hanks says to his band of soldiers in Saving Private Ryan, “Gripes go up, not down. Always up.”
For me, being an authentic leader is a key part of building trust. So as well as being ethical (see earlier), you’ll want to:
· Practice self-awareness. A good leader is aware of their weaknesses as well as their strengths.
· Be open about those weaknesses rather than trying to hide them.
· Bring your whole self to work, as opposed to having one persona for work and one outside of work.
To stay on top of future trends and future skills, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter and have a look at my new book, Future Skills: The 20 Skills & Competencies Everyone Needs To Succeed In A Digital World.
Source: 10 Most Important Leadership Skills For The 21st Century Workplace (And How To Develop Them)
MicroStrategy holds the course on bitcoin strategy despite change in leadership
More Remote Working Apps:
https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
https://alpariforex.org/fa/registration/?cpa_partner_id=13687690 Alpari Forex Trading
https://dealcheck.io?fp_ref=armin16 Dealcheck Real Estate Evaluator
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/381812/ BrandElevate Bundle information
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381807/ BrandElevate Ultimate
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381556/ WowBackgraounds Plus
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381689/ Your3DPal Ultimate
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/380877/ BigAudio Club Fast Pass
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/379998/ Podcast Masterclass
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/366537/ VideoGameSuite Exclusive
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381179 YTSuite Advanced
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381749/ Xinemax 2.0 Commercial
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/382455 Living An Intentional Life
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381812 BrandElevate Bundle
https://jvzoo.com/c/202927/381935 Ezy MultiStores
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381194/ DFY Suite 4.0 Agency
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381976/ AppOwls Bundle
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381615/ WOW Backgrounds 2.0
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381560 ALL-in-One HD Stock Bundle
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/382326/ Viddeyo Bundle
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/381617/ The Forex Joustar
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383751/ ADA Web Accessibility Compliance
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383942/ 10 Bold Actions In Positive Life & Work
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383706/ Adtivate Agency
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/384099/ My Passive Income Blueprints
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/329145/ Content Tool Kit
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383865/ QR Verse Bundle
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/379307/ VIADZ Ad Template
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383051/ EngageYard Ad Creator
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/383751/ Local Leader Bundle
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/383119/ Tonai Voice Content
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383848/ Vocalic Commercial
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/383483/ Dropshiply Store Creator
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/384025/ Levidio Royal Podcasting
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383094/ Develop Self Empowerment
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379223/ Hostley Domain Creator
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383447/ Mech Forex Robot
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/383177/ Motion Kingdom Studio
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/144577/ Forex Blizz Trading
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/383307/ Animaxime V2
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/375692/ Promovidz Promotion Videos
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/379051/ CanvaKitz Business Templates
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/383113/ Agencyscale Business Agency
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/347847/ Pitchdeck Professional Presentations
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381179/ YTSuite YouTube Ads Campaigns
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/382455/ Living an International Life
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/188236/ Galactic Dimension backgrounds
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381749/ Xinemax Hollywood Creator
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381194/ DFY Suite 4.0 Agency
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/381231/ Appowls Mobile Apps
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381935/ Ezy Multi Stores
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381556/ WOW Backgrounds
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381685/ Your 3DPal
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/381617/ Forex Joustar
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/381129/ Ultrafunnels A.I
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/128215/ DUX Forex Signals
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/381003/ Trendio Keyword Content
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/381439/ FX Goldminer
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/378775/ Pixal 2.022
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/380087/ Big Audio Club
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379995/ Podcast Advantage
https://jvz4.com/c/202927/380543/ Local Sites
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/369500/ PodKastr Commercial
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/351606/ Insta Keyword
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/374505/ 7 Minutes Kit
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/383057/ Aweber Crash Course
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/46987/ WP Simulator
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/379995/ Podcast Advantage
https://jvz2.com/c/202927/380692/ Boost Optimism
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/36517/ Superior Muscle Growth
https://jvz6.com/c/202927/379480/ TV Boss Fire
https://jvz1.com/c/202927/379455/ Webprimo Website Builder
https://jvz3.com/c/202927/384619/ Agency Client Finder
https://jvz8.com/c/202927/384625/ Power Reviews