New Zealand’s glaciers are becoming “smaller and more skeletal” due to the effects of climate change and scientists predict many could disappear within a decade.
An annual end-of-summer survey that records the snowline of more than 50 South Island glaciers has revealed continued loss of snow and ice.
Every year, the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa), the Victoria University of Wellington and the conservation department gather thousands of aerial photographs of the glaciers to measure the altitude of the snowline and see how much of the previous winter’s snow has remained covering each glacier.
That snowline, also known as the equilibrium line altitude (ELA), allows scientists to evaluate the glacier’s health. If the glacier size has decreased, then the line will be higher, because less winter snow remains.
“We were expecting the snowlines to be high because of the warm weather we’ve had and sadly, our instincts were confirmed,” said Dr Andrew Lorrey, a principal scientist at Niwa.
New Zealand’s glaciers had lost mass most years over the past decade, said Dr Lauren Vargo from Victoria University. “But what was more striking to me is how much smaller and more skeletal so many of the glaciers are becoming.”
The country is experiencing more frequent temperature extremes, four to five times more extreme than would be expected in a climate with no long-term warming, Niwa reported in January, while 2021 was New Zealand’s hottest year on record.
Last week, Antarctica recorded temperatures more than 40C warmer than seasonal norms. Gregor Macara, a Niwa climate scientist, said this year’s survey showed a noticeable difference from the previous years.
“The snowline elevations this year were high, meaning much of the winter snows had melted, leaving a lot of glacial ice exposed. It appears to be yet another poor year for our ice, continuing the trend from recent years, and it is disheartening to see the ongoing decline.”
The long-term aerial survey began in 1977, giving a visual timeline of how much glaciers have retreated. Since the survey began, the global climate has warmed by about 1.1C and Niwa estimates that more than a third of the ice volume has been lost from the Southern Alps.
“What we’re seeing is a clear retreat, which is no doubt thanks to climate change. In a decade, we predict that many of our beloved and important glaciers will be gone,” Lorrey said.
The ramifications are significant. Glaciers are an important store of fresh water, their seasonal melt into rivers supporting irrigation of farmland and hydropower schemes, and acting as a buffer against drought. The disappearing ice also contributes to rising sea levels.
“This will have far reaching impacts, such as altering our beautiful landscape, affecting the livelihoods of people who rely on these natural wonders for tourism, and flow on effects from decreased meltwater during periods of drought,” Lorrey said.
“It also emphasises the urgency of slowing climate change because the impacts are going to become increasingly costly and hard to avoid.”
By: Eva Corlett in Wellington
Source: Many of New Zealand’s glaciers could disappear in a decade, scientists warn | Glaciers | The Guardian
- Pakistan has more glaciers than almost anywhere on Earth. But they are at risk”. The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286.
- Millions at risk as melting Pakistan glaciers raise flood fears”. http://www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- 170’000 km cube d’eau dans les glaciers du monde”.
- “Ice, Snow, and Glaciers and the Water Cycle”.
- Glossary of Glacier Terminology”. USGS. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- “Retreat of Alaskan glacier Juneau icefield”.
- “Glossary of Meteorology”.
- Morphological Classification of Glaciers” (PDF). http://www.uwsp.edu/Pages/default.aspx.
- “Sea Level and Climate”. USGS FS 002-00. USGS. 2000-01-31. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- “Types of Glaciers”. National Snow and Ice Data Center. Archived from the original on 2010-04-17.
- Description of Ice Streams”. British Antarctic Survey. Archived from the original on 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- What types of glaciers are there? | National Snow and Ice Data Center”. nsidc.org. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- “What causes the blue color that sometimes appears in snow and ice?”. Webexhibits.org. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Glacier change and related hazards in Switzerland”. UNEP. Archived from the original on 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Rapid disintegration of Alpine glaciers observed with satellite data” (PDF).
- “Recent Global Glacier Retreat Overview” (PDF). Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- A short history of scientific investigations on glaciers”. Journal of Glaciology. Special issue (S1): 4–5. Bibcode:1987JGlac..33S…4C. doi:10.3189/S0022143000215785.|
- NASA Expedition Probes Deep Within a Greenland Glacier”. NASA. 2006-12-11. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- The Evolution of a Glacier Surge Observed with the ERS Satellites Archived 2014-11-11 at the Wayback Machine (pdf, 1.3 Mb)
- The Brúarjökull Project: Sedimentary environments of a surging glacier. The Brúarjökull Project research idea”. Hi.is. Retrieved 2013-01-04..
- More Remote Working Apps:https://quintexcapital.com/?ref=arminham Quintex Capital
- https://www.genesis-mining.com/a/2535466 Genesis Mining
- http://www.bevtraders.com/?ref=arminham BevTraders
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/369164 prime stocks
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/361015 content gorilla
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/366443 stock rush
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/373449 forrk
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/194909 keysearch
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/296191 gluten free
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/286851 diet fitness diabetes
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/213027 writing job
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/108695 postradamus
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/372094 stoodaio
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/358049 profile mate
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/279944 senuke
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/54245 asin
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370227 appimize
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 super backdrop
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/302715 audiencetoolkit
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/375487 4brandcommercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/375358 talkingfaces
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375706 socifeed
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/184902 gaming jobs
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/88118 backlink indexer https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376361 powrsuite
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/370472 tubeserp
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/343405 PR Rage
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/371547 design beast
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/376879 commission smasher
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376925 MT4Code System
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/375959 viral dash
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376527 coursova
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/144349 fanpage
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376877 forex expert
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374258 appointomatic
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377003 woocommerce
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377005 domainname
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376842 maxslides
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376381 ada leadz
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/333637 eyeslick
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/376986 creaitecontentcreator
- https://jvz4.com/c/202927/376095 vidcentric
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/374965 studioninja
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/374934 marketingblocks https://jvz3.com/c/202927/372682 clipsreel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/372916 VideoEnginePro
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/144577 BarclaysForexExpert
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/370806 Clientfinda
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/375550 Talkingfaces
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/370769 IMSyndicator
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/283867 SqribbleEbook
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376524 superbackdrop
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/376849 VirtualReel
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/369837 MarketPresso
- https://jvz1.com/c/202927/342854 voiceBuddy
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377211 tubeTargeter
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/377557 InstantWebsiteBundle
- https://jvz6.com/c/202927/368736 soronity
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/337292 DFY Suite 3.0 Agency+ information
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/291061 VideoRobot Enterprise
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/327447 Klippyo Kreators
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/324615 ChatterPal Commercial
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/299907 WP GDPR Fix Elite Unltd Sites
- https://jvz8.com/c/202927/328172 EngagerMate
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/342585 VidSnatcher Commercial
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/292919 myMailIt
- https://jvz3.com/c/202927/320972 Storymate Luxury Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/320466 iTraffic X – Platinum Edition
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/330783 Content Gorilla One-time
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/301402 Push Button Traffic 3.0 – Brand New
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/321987 SociCake Commercial https://jvz2.com/c/202927/289944 The Internet Marketing
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/297271 Designa Suite License
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/310335 XFUNNELS FE Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/291955 ShopABot
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/312692 Inboxr
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/343635 MediaCloudPro 2.0 – Agency
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/353558 MyTrafficJacker 2.0 Pro+
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/365061 AIWA Commercial
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/357201 Toon Video Maker Premium
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/351754 Steven Alvey’s Signature Series
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/344541 Fade To Black
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/290487 Adsense Machine
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/315596 Diddly Pay’s DLCM DFY Club
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/355249 CourseReel Professional
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/309649 SociJam System
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/263380 360Apps Certification
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/359468 LocalAgencyBox
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377557 Instant Website Bundle
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/377194 GMB Magic Content
- https://jvz2.com/c/202927/376962 PlayerNeos VR