Listen First Project defines listening as an action—the process of lending an ear to another person to take in and organize information, thereby learning from their perspective and formulating more productive arguments. Listening is personally attentive and responsive communication that leads to awareness, understanding, and empathy.
- 1. A genuine desire or motivation to attend fully to the perspectives of others;
- 2. A range of behaviors that signal attention and interest; and
- 3. Close attention to and processing of others’ points of view in an effort to understand.
What does Listen First mean?
- Listen First to understand rather than to reply
- Listen First before rejecting a conversation
- Listen First before dismissing alternative ideas
- Listen First before launching attacks
- Listen First to more effectively advocate your position
Via Edwin Rutsch